Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs - A Remembrance

Yesterday night we lost one of the greatest inventors ever to live and certainly one of the greatest minds of  our time. Steve Jobs death has got me thinking about a couple of things - things I would like to share with you all.



I find that more often than not, people think that the present is the only time that matters. That life is everything, as opposed to a part of a much greater whole. I think people look at the past and future as faraway places that don't affect the 'now'. It is a sobering thought, for instance, to think that the Roman Empire, one time the greatest power in the world (and now lost to the sands of time) lasted for almost 2000 years and the United States has been a independent country for less than 250. I think people forget that the present is soon to be the past, and that we will all become another piece. In no way have we reached our destination of human existence; there are still wars to be fought, regimes to be overturned, and empires to spring up.

It is with this in mind that I savor the fact that I was alive in the time of Steve Jobs. Now that may sound a little contrived for some of you - but I urge you to think about it. One day your kid is going to ask to help him or her with a  project about the great inventor of the 21st century, and you will be able to sit them down and talk about where you were the day the iPod came out. Most people in this country have benefitted of Job's genius in one way or another, be it an entire line of Apple products in your backpack or simply the easiness of the iTunes store. His creations have helped shape our world, and his life will forever be spoken in the same breath as Newton, Franklin and Edison.

We live in a time of giants. While it's easy to gaze with adoration as our grandparents recall the time they went and saw Babe Ruth play, keep in mind that we'll soon be recounting stories of watching Mariano Riveria break the all time save record. I'll be able to tell my kids about my experience in Dodger Stadium before Eric Gagne came out to close a game - it's still my coolest sports experience. We will be able to talk about where we were when LeBron left Cleveland (even though some of you don't want to ever talk about it). That's going to be a sports story for the rest of time - and we are all a part of it, simply by witnessing it (maybe that's poor word choice).

I've never met Steve Jobs. I've never shook his hand or listen to a speech. Still, he impacted my life with his genius. His contribution to the world, and his work is nearly unparalleled. He brought computers to the everyman and continued improving and developing products to forever push the boundaries of what we never thought possible. Maybe I'm over emphasizing the point, but I was saddened to see one of the brightest lights of humanity go out yesterday. He wasn't Mother Theresa or Ghandi, he didn't make wartime speeches or lead a charge at Gettysburg - but he has changed the world for the better, and for that - I thank him.

Steve Jobs was able to bring forth a new world simply by imagining one, and having the courage and ability to follow his dreams. We lost  brilliant mind and a brilliant man last night, and I think the whole world feels a sense of loss because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment